Complaints & Guidance

Other Regulators

Investment Industry Regulatory Association of Canada (IIROC)

If you are dealing with a firm that is a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Association of Canada, you may contact IIROC at or 1-866-214-7200 to register your complaint. In some cases, the matter may be referred to an arbitrator.

Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA)

The Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada is responsible for regulating all sales of mutual funds by its members in Canada. For more information, please go to the MFDA web site at MFDA does not regulate the funds or fund manufacturers – this responsibility remains with the securities commissions. 

Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments (OBSI)

Getting Your Money Back

If you have a dispute about a registered person or firm that may have acted inappropriately (for example, by recommending investments that are unsuitable for you based on the information you gave them) and you have lost money that you wish to get back, you can submit a complaint to the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments (OBSI). OBSI is a free and independent service for resolving banking and investment disputes between participating firms and their clients and can recommend compensation of up to $350,000. For information on how to make a complaint to OBSI, see the process to get your money back.